Thursday, May 28, 2009

Idyllwild Visit



Drive to Idyllwild

On Saturday, the 23rd, I went climbing in the Idyllwild area and on the drive up and down Highway 243 I noticed that the wildflowers were better than normal, but drying up fast. Since my wife doesn't get to leave home much, her time is spent taking care of her invalid mother, I decided to take her for a drive to see what's left of the flowers. I might also add that she has been an amateur botanist for many years.

We drove to Banning and stopped to look at a single field of flowers, unlike any others I've seen in the area. They have very sharp pointed leaves, a gray green color with a pale purple flower.


We then drove up the hill and I was planning on turning around about half way to Idyllwild when my wife asked me to drive her on into Idyllwild. The flowers didn't impress her too much, too far gone and not the best of years to begin with. We drove into town where it was packed. We had to stop at her favorite shop, the one where they have hand dipped ice cream on a stick. I couldn't find a parking space, so I drove around while she got her ice cream.

Busy downtown Idyllwild

We then drove back down the way we came up. I figured that going down Highway 74 would have even heavier traffic than 243. On the way down I snapped a quick picture of some people at Bay Spring, filling up water bottles even though it is posted as closed and the water is not safe to drink. It makes you wonder.

Filling up contaminated water

We continued down a ways and overlooking Twin Pine Ranch we stopped to look at some showy yellow flowers growing on shrubs and to look out over the fire damage from the Esperanza Fire.

Looking out at the burn area


After taking in the view, we continued home. It may not of been a monumental trip, but it was important to me to give my wife a chance to get out of the house, even if for just a little drive.


No comments:

Post a Comment