Tuesday, February 12, 2013



San Jacinto and Frank Miller Peaks

Since we had recently had a small storm, with some snow up on the mountains, I decided to go up and take a look. This was an early storm for us and I was wondering if I would need to be changing over to snow sports soon. Well, it was on the cooler side, but there was very little snow until I was above Tamarack Valley. Even then the snow was very limited, it was just covering the ground and only in shaded areas.

Conditions in vicinity of Tamarack Valley

Light snow above Tamarack Valley

It was nice not to have to wear the heavier gear that full snow coverage would have required. I continued on and thought that I had things all to myself, when I heard a noise and saw some movement. Up ahead I saw a good size deer, it always makes it a good day to see wildlife.

Deer in the headlights look, not for long!

As I climbed higher towards the benches I had a great view of Cornell Peak and the desert beyond.

Cornell Peak

 Time passed by quickly and pleasantly and soon I was nearing the summit of San Jacinto. The views on top were awesome as usual and while the snow was very limited, the ice on trees was very beautiful, unless you were standing under the trees, because with the mild temperatures the ice was falling off. I was able to have lunch and spend most of my time on top in solitude, until just before I was leaving, when a group of marines showed up. I took their picture for them, thanked them for their service and then headed down.

Nearing the summit

Looking north, Grayback on the left

Looking towards Baldy, note ice on trees

 View of the Palm Springs area

More ice on the trees

Looking west

For benchmark fans, you know who you are

I then headed back down and since I had the time, I decided to take a little detour and visit Frank Miller Peak, I walk by it so often but it seems as if I rarely stop.

Flat area just below Miller

Plaques on Miller

Great views from Miller

Looking down Leatherneck ridge

View towards tram and Palm Springs

Looking south from Miller

Looking back towards San Jacinto Peak

After enjoying the views from the top of Miller, I then had an enjoyable but uneventful hike back to the tram. Another great day in the San Jacinto wilderness.

No comments:

Post a Comment